I bet you’re reading that title and thinking “HAH, good one Jules, grandma making Jello shots.” Well, you’re wrong, because I’m 100% serious. My Grandma Peggy gets requests for these bad boys ALL. THE. TIME. She made them for my wedding, in three or four colors…I don’t remember exactly. Hell, she made them the Thanksgiving I was 17, and got to be a DD for my parents. Good times!
Be forewarned, these Jello shots are pretty damn strong. Like, my hubby opened the fridge right after I put them in, and coughs while yelling “I think I’m getting contact drunk just by having my head in here!”
Also, the recipe calls for a packet of Kool-Aid that’s the same color as the Jello, and I totally forgot to get it at the store. So I used what I had. They tasted delicious, but looked distinctly more grape than blue-berry lemonade.
I believe the exact terminology I used was “ghetto as fuck”
Anyway, you’re welcome to use whatever booze you wish, but I personally prefer mine with tequila. Because tequila goes with everything. Don’t fight me on this.
One other thing, this recipe calls for 4 packs of unflavored gelatin (hence the Kool-Aid, for extra flavor) but if you want to leave it out….well you’ll probably have to find another recipe, I’m honestly not sure. But the extra gelatin makes them set up nice and firm so you can pick them up without them slipping around.
And here you have it, Ladies and Gents:
Grandmama’s Famous Jello Shots
Good for getting lit at family gatherings
- 1 ½ cups good tequila (I used Lunazul)
- 1 packet of Kool-Aid in the color/flavor that goes with ur jello
- 1 big box or 2 little boxes of jello in preferred flavor
- 4 packets of Knox gelatin
- 1 cup sugar (I used a little less)
- 2 ½ cups water
- Put ur tequila and all 4 packets of gelatin in a measuring cup or bowl, and make sure there are no giant clumps. Leave it for a minute.
- Start ur water boiling.
- In a heat-proof bowl or pan, mix ur Kool-Aid, jello, and sugar together. Pour in the boiling water and stir till it’s not lumpy.
- Now pour ur tequila/gelatin mixture into the hot jello water, and stir until combined.
- Pour that shit in a 9”x13” pan, and put it in the fridge for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight.
- Cut it up into cubes, and serve.
*You CAN put this into shot cups, but that’s a pain in the ass and those are harder to eat.